Although most of the calories in an avocado come from fat, it’s a healthy, beneficial fat that helps to keep you full and satiated. Fat is essential for every single cell in the body. Consuming healthy fats helps slow the breakdown of carbohydrates, which aids in maintaining blood sugar levels.
Here are some important things you may not know about avocados:
- They have the highest protein and fiber content of any fruit.
- Avocados help to improve mental clarity and lower the risk of depression due to their high levels of folate.
- They help your body absorb nutrients from plant foods.
- They contain more potassium than a banana – 485mg vs. 358mg per 100g
- Avocados help to strengthen your immune system.
- They help to regulate your blood sugar and balance your hormones.
- They aid in weight loss and help to control your appetite.
Looking for some quick ways to add avocados into your diet?
- Add avocado chunks to your smoothies
- Spread on wholegrain toast instead of butter
- Add avocado slices or chunks to your salads
- Make guacamole or dip (we love this asparagus guacamole recipe)
- Eat avocados straight up with some lemon juice and your favourite seasoning
Did you know you can freeze avocados?
Ripe avocado can be frozen for 4-6 months, and you can opt to freeze them whole, mashed, in halves or in chunks. If you opt to freeze avocados outside of their peel, add some lemon juice and seal tightly to minimize browning. The Food Network has a great tutorial on Twitter:
A version of this article was written by Patsy Commisso, previously published on MCC.fit. Patsy Commisso is a RevolutionHer™ Business Member, and the owner of MCC Weight Solutions, where Patsy and her team offer a variety of solutions for your optimal health including for weight loss, disease support, athletic performance, stress management, healthy kids and female hormone support. Their programs include amazing nutrition plans, fitness programs and wellness supports, designed to get you fit and healthy.
Looking for more articles on health and wellness?
Be sure to subscribe and get our Weekend Review, filled with helpful tips, new recipes, exclusive invitations, and more!