Tips to Host a Giveaway on Instagram
Before you invest the time and money into holding a giveaway on Instagram, it’s important to make sure that it will get you tangible results. Not all giveaways are created equal; some are effective marketing campaigns, while others just amount to a waste of time. Here are some tips that will help you ensure that your giveaway makes a solid contribution to your business.
Know Your Goals
Here are some key questions to think about when it comes to crafting the right giveaway for your business:
- What are you trying to accomplish: Brand recognition? Increased followers on your social media sites? More referrals from existing customers?
- Who is your target audience?
When you are clear about what you want to accomplish, you are able to design your giveaway with specific goals in mind. It also makes it a lot easier to evaluate the success of this strategy.
Have an Irresistible Prize
Once you have determined the goals for your giveaway, you need to get to know your target audience.
- Who are they?
- What do they care about?
- What problems keep them up at night?
- Most importantly, what do they want?
If you find a prize that they simply can’t resist, then you’ve got them hooked.
Keep It Simple
Have you ever been excited about a giveaway only to find that entering it is complicated as heck? No one has time to spend half an hour filling out multiple entry forms or visiting several sites to fulfill the giveaway requirements! There should be no more than three steps involved and the whole process should take no longer than 1 to 3 minutes. As soon as your giveaway gets annoying, most people will ditch it.
Try This Strategy on Instagram:
- Choose an image that will grab attention
- Describe the giveaway and create excitement in the opening sentences
- Let visitors know how to enter:
1. Who they need to follow
2. What they need to do (like the post, tag friends in separate comments, etc)
3. How they can get bonus entries
- Detail timing and qualifications (date and time that it ends, how winner is chosen)
- Add rules/disclaimer: “This contest is open to Canadian residents that have reached the age of majority in their province or territory of residence. By following, “liking” and commenting, you enter and agree that this contest is in no way associated with, administered by, or endorsed by Instagram. Tap link in bio for full contest rules.”
- Tag loyal followers and/or influencers, and/or companies who are participating in your giveaway.
- Include your contest rules on a separate page on your website for transparency.
Make a Promotional Plan
Your giveaway is at the top of your mind but for everyone else it’s just another thing competing for their attention. You need to remind people about it in a way that engages them and makes them want to be a part of it. Try to put yourself in the position of your target audience and think about what would grab your attention. It’s important that your plan clearly outlines where, how and when you will promote your contest and that you follow through with it.
Nothing irks people more than someone who isn’t playing fair. Just ask a four year old who lost his favourite game because someone was cheating. When your business is holding a contest, your reputation is on the line.
- Use a computer program to randomly select winners or have witnesses present when you hold a draw.
- Include disclaimers with your contest including contest closing date and time, restrictions, and how winners will be selected.
It may not seem important now but you’ll be glad you did it if anyone ever questions the integrity of your contest.
Contests are one of the more fun parts of marketing your business. Have a brainstorming session and let yourself to get creative with it. You don’t have to do the same thing that has been done hundreds of times before. Take a risk, try something new and your customers will love you for it.