Keeping our own well being at the forefront is crucial these days, and while we can all get busy, it’s important to find small ways to take a moment, pause, and reset with some deep breaths.
Here are 2 easy ways to implement some deep breathing exercises into your daily routine:
Pause & Breathe With A Warm Drink
- Choose a mug or cup that makes you smile; maybe it reminds you of someone, or has a funny quote.
- Select your favourite hot drink; do you feel like a slow roasted coffee, an herbal tea, hot chocolate, or warm water with lemon and honey? Allow yourself to be in the moment and really listen to what you feel like having.
- Find a comfy chair with a view; maybe you can see your garden or a nearby park.
- Can you use an essential oil diffuser or light a candle with a relaxing scent?
- Get comfortable, then pause and take some deep breaths, releasing any tension. Breathe in the fresh air from your warm drink, and your essential oils.
- Make a note of 3 things you are grateful for, or 3 things that have brought joy to your day so far.
- Enjoy your drink while it is still warm, and repeat when you can.
Pause & Breathe While Washing Your Hands
- Select your favourite naturally scented soap. If you are looking for a relaxing experience, choose a soap with natural notes of lavender, vanilla, or chamomile. For an energizing experience, choose a soap infused with natural citrus (lemon, lime, grapefruit or orange), mint, or eucalyptus. If you don’t have what you are looking for handy, use a few drops of pure essential oils in place of regular hand soap.
- Use warm water, and lather your hands for a minute.
- Turn the water off, and raise your hands towards your face. Take deep breaths and inhale the scent for 10 seconds. Rub your hands together again, and take one more deep breath, inhaling the aromatherapy.
- Rinse your hands under warm water, and pat dry with a clean towel.