Written by Patsy Commisso
When we think of power powders, the first that usually comes to mind is protein powder, but there are a whole line of super powders that are making their way into mainstream eating and for good reason.
Powders are beyond convenient for a busy lifestyle, and they contribute to wholistic health by offering more than just a one stream vitamin.
What is a Superfood Powder?
A superfood powder is raw, natural, nutritional goodness ground into perfectly palatable powders that can be added to juice, smoothies, soups, sauces, yogurt, ice cream and even baked goods.
It’s impossible to hit all your daily nutrient guidelines for health – you would have to consume 3000 kcal of healthy foods in a single day! Powders are a cheat system with great benefits to help you along the way. For instance one tablespoon of a green powder is equivalent to 10 batches of kale!
Superfood powders also have the highest ORAC read – this is Antioxidant values in foods and beverages – and it’s pretty straight forward: the higher the ORAC read, the more nutrient dense (high in nutrients, low in calories) a food is.
The list of superfood powders is a long one, but here is an outline of the top 5 you should consider adding to your pantry:
- Collagen – promotes skin and bone elasticity. Try adding to your coffee.
- Turmeric – reduces inflammation, and can be made into paste for skin support blends
- Spirulina – algae nutrient that not only provides a full spectrum of nutrients, but is also a great vegetarian source of protein.
- Cocoa – the heart powder! Great tasting and full of heart healthy flavonols, plus a great source of magnesium.
- Acai – bright in colour and relative to blueberries, this tart tasting nutrient is extremely high in antioxidants, keeping your cells youthful and strong.
Have some fun adding superpowders to your daily routine, your health will thank you for it!
Patsy Commisso is a RevolutionHer™ Business Member based out of Oakville, Ontario. She is the owner of MCC Weight Solutions, where Patsy and her team offer a variety of solutions for your optimal health including for weight loss, disease support, athletic performance, stress management, healthy kids and female hormone support. Their programs include amazing nutrition plans, fitness programs and wellness supports, designed to get you fit and healthy.
Looking for more articles on health and wellness?
Be sure to subscribe and get our Weekend Review, filled with helpful tips, new recipes, exclusive invitations, and more!